• Join us on

How do I arrange a new connection?

If you have recently built a house and wish to have electricity connected, there are several steps you must follow

  • The house must be wired by an approved electrician and inspected by an inspector from the Electrical Department of the Ministry of Infrastructure, Port Services & Transportation. A Chief Electrical Inspectors Certificate of Approval will be issued by the Electrical Department if everything is in order.
  • An application for supply can then be completed at the Administration Office of LUCELEC in Castries, Rodney Bay, Soufriere or Vieux Fort. The Inspector's Certificate of Approval must be presented at the time of application. All new connection applicants must present a valid National photo ID card. Saint Lucian Nationals are advised that passports are not the preferred kind of identification as LUCELEC needs to capture both picture identification and the applicant's NIC number. The National ID Card or new Drivers’ Permit satisfies this criterion. For Non-Saint Lucian residents, a valid passport along with an NIC card will be accepted. The customer can prove legal ownership with a Letter of Sale from the previous property owner along with a Land Register issued within 5 days. Customers must ensure that this Letter of Sale has the exact date of sale, along with a copy of the previous property owner’s ID card and signature. If the person requesting the new connection is renting from the property owner, LUCELEC makes readily available a Tenant Advice Form. This can also be used by commercial renters. The landlord/property owner must complete this form, sign it and attach a copy of his/her ID card.
  • A security deposit must be paid at the time of application. The deposit will be retained by LUCELEC and accrue interest. The deposit and interest are refundable once the service is no longer required and all charges due are paid.
  • If your premises are more than a hundred feet (100ft) from the nearest pole on the distribution system, the existing line may need to be extended. The cost of extending the distribution line will be estimated and you will be asked to pay this cost in addition to your deposit.
  • Once the above formalities have been completed including any extension required, LUCELEC will seek to provide your electricity supply within 24 hours of payment.
  • If you request an estimate, we will respond within two (2) days with an acknowledgement and a request for a scheduled site visit to evaluate your needs. We promise to provide you with a cost estimate for the scope of work identified during the site visit, within fifteen (15) working days from the time the request was received by our Planning Department.

Applications in respect of Commercial and Industrial premises will generally follow the same process. Since their energy usage is sometimes large enough to require the installation of a separate transformer, these applications should be made well in advance of the date the supply is required.

Please ensure that you carefully explain your needs to the Company representative when you request the supply. A domestic service cannot be used for commercial purposes and it is very important to advise whether you will be using equipment such as arc welders or air conditioning units.

You may not supply any other consumer from your home or office. This will lead to a disconnection of your service.

Sometimes an individual may wish to occupy the premises previously owned or occupied by another customer. The procedure for application is as follows:

  • The customer must bring to any of our commercial offices, an old bill or the meter number of the existing account for identification purposes.
  • An application form is completed as for a new connection.
  • A security deposit is required at the time of application.
  • If the electricity supply is disconnected at the time of application, then within five days of payment of the deposit, a LUCELEC crew will be dispatched to connect the electricity supply.
  • An Inspector's Certificate of Approval is required for the reconnection of a service that has been disconnected for more than twelve (12) months, or where wiring changes have been made.